Yesterday I got a very interesting and funny e-mail from my friend Gly. The e-mail has a title “Are you a Facebook addict?”
It is actually an article posted in Yahoo! News (Philippines) about the signs of Facebook addiction. In summary here are the signs of Facebook Addiction Disorder (FAD) and my response…. Whoa, they even have a term for this kind of disorder now. Seems many people are categorized into this group.
1. You lose sleep over Facebook. When using Facebook becomes a compulsion and you spend entire nights logged on to the site, causing you to become tired the next day.
Check. I have this syndrome when I just started using Facebook last May and got hooked up in Farm Town (the first App that I spend most of my time with). If you track back my old post about Farm Town addiction, you would know what I am talking about. Luckily, I got over it now.
2. You spend more than an hour a day on Facebook. Lipari said it is difficult to define how much is too much when it comes to Facebook usage, but that an average person need only spend half an hour on the site.
Check. I guess majority of the people using Facebook spend more than 1 hour in this site. Of course you have to consider the number of friends in your profile so if you have many, then more or less you spend time checking their profile, activities, pictures, etc. Internet connection is also a factor. I spend longer time because my internet connection is as fast as a speeding bullet (or should I say an overworked snail!).
3. You become obsessed with old loves or exes you reconnect with on Facebook.
4. You ignore work in favor of Facebook. This means you do not do your job in order to sneak time on Facebook.
A big no no…my friends can attest to it. If I am busy at work, I am busy at work and they dare not disturb.
5. The thought of getting off Facebook leaves you in cold sweat. If you try going a day without Facebook and it causes you stress and anxiety, this means you need help.
I guess this is a terrible sign of addiction. No, I don’t feel stressed or anxious if I cannot visit Facebook. Of course, sometimes you worry your crop may wither or whatever things you need to do in Facebook but what the heck, even if it withers or other Mafia’s attacked you big time, it doesn’t cost you real money or physical injuries so why be so bothered.
So in general, I got 2 out of 5..maybe possesses a small level of addiction but should not be a cause for alarm or a quick appointment to a shrink. As what I have said in several of my old posts, this is just a FAD (coincidentally the same acronym for the Facebook disorder) and it will come to pass soon.
Full article is in this link. Please check it and assess your level of Facebook addiction: