I guess many of us becomes emotional when saying something or paying tribute to our parents. It’s because of the plain and simple fact that apart from nurturing us from the day we were born, they’ve been giving us unconditional love ever since.
Since Mother’s Day is fast approaching, allow me to write a simple tribute to my Mom. I don’t know if she is able to read this post as she hardly uses internet and if she do, normally she has to be helped by my siblings since she is not so familiar with using a computer. I love my parents equally but since the occasion is for Mom’s, I will focus my blog entry about my Mother which we fondly call “Mama”.
Reasons why I should be thankful to my Mom:
1. Being the instrument for my existence- God gave me life. And He used my Mom as the person to make me be part of this world when she gave birth to a bouncing baby boy few decades ago. I actually am so advanced and I wanted to go out earlier than expected. I was a premature born baby. I’ve been enjoying my life as far as I can remember.
2. Undeniable skills to nurture- I can’t remember any specific subject in school training would-be mom’s the skills to care for their future families. Surely we were taught of good values in school but I believe being able to nurture their children and bringing them up as a good individual is a “Mom’s Nature”, There is simply no Master’s Degree or even PhD courses training them to do it. It just comes out naturally to most of the moms.
We were 5 children in the family and you can just imagine how hard it is for my Mom to take care of us equally as we grow up. Naturally my siblings and I have different personalities and she has to manage us so we could still feel special and not left behind. We would often tell each other that this sibling is mom’s favorite, the other is dad’s favorite but they would always tell us we are all equal. I can’t contest because I still have no children of my own so I can’t exactly know if the feeling is true.
When we were studying, my Mom has to wake up around 4:30 or 5 am every day just to cook food for us, heat water, prepare our baon and make sure our uniforms are smartly pressed. We used to have a housekeeper but when we were growing up, my mom single-handedly take care of the household.
3. A good doctor even though she has no medical degree- We would get sick occasionally. But every time we are not feeling well, we know we will be ok as long as Mom is there. She would always cook good food and cared for us until we get better. If we complained of headache, stomachache and various body pains she would always have the good solution for it. That’s why I truly missed my mom every time I get sick now that I am overseas as I have to take care of myself.
4. Best cook- I’m sure every children would consider their mom the best cook in the world. Truly, no KFC, Jollibee, Barrio Fiesta, etc. can beat our own Mom’s cooking. We are fortunate that my Mom comes from a family wherein everyone can cook. Now me and the rest of my siblings acquire the same skills and would cook good food whenever we can.
5. Thinks of her family first before herself- I am so lucky to have parents who are so selfless. They would always think of their family first rather than themselves. I would remember my Dad would always tell my Mom why she don’t want to buy something for herself and she would always say she doesn’t need any more material things so she’d rather buy something for her family.
There are more reasons why I should be thankful to my Mom that I don’t have to write and I am sure she knows it. Now that I have a stable job, I want to give her the best, let her see the world while she can.
I’m sure my Dad would appreciate it and would be glad if we could continue what he has been doing before- that is giving our Mom the best that she truly deserves.
Happy Mother’s Day Mama! I love you.